- Cedar Rain Bench update
- the natural way to harvest rain...
- creative outdoor living designs
- Self watering square foot garden130 gallon rainwater reservoir automatically waters your garden from below, fills from rain
- the WaterShedA garden shed with rainwater storage built into the walls
- cedar rain benchan example of how nice rain water harvesting can look... 260 gallons of useful (seating), beautiful (cedar) multi-use landscape elements
- small space gardening
- bottom-filling a rain bench
Ok, it has to be done right… And setups like this don’t help…
“It’s an ice skating rink for fairies?” Nice try.
Ok Rainwater TIP #1:
Use a diverter that can easily be winterized in colder climates. I have used quite a few, and most are pretty good. Here’s the best one I found for the value:
and here’s why:
1. It’s big enough to use on oversized residential and 4″x4″ commercial downspouts
2. It has a filter
3. It diverts about 99% of rain to where you want it to go
4. It’s easy to winterize, just remove the filter handles (they are rubber stoppers), and put them in the 2 outlet openings. Done. No more searching for those plugs every autumn!
5. Mom designed it and sells it. Mom knows best.
How about all the reasons TO harvest rainwater?
1. it’s free. Use as much of it as you want. (unless it’s illegal, then make sure it’s well hidden Did I type that out loud?
2. it’s easy.
3. your city or county will probably pay you to do it.
4. if your well pump or public supply is lost, you still have water.
5. it’s soft, good for washing, appliances (if filtered properly)
I washed my 9 year old dog with rainwater… Here she is.
Ok, it’s not the fountain of youth, but she appreciated the warm rainwater vs. cold hose!
6. Plants grow better with rainwater…
Just a few things to keep in mind:
- Place your reservoir far away from the house and bottom fill it.
- Use care when storing rainwater on a deck. It must be strong enough to hold a hot tub; water weighs a lot!
- Take advantage of incentives and rebates NOW to get paid back for your DIY bench!
We are updating the site and will be coming out with a plethora of new designs this winter, so check back in, and feel free to mosey around a bit. Give us a call or email (contact page) if you have any questions at all…